RV & Airstream-Friendly Recipes: Lentil Salad with Cumin & Lime
This simple recipe has become a regular favorite because of its bold flavors, versatility, and ease in pulling together and cleaning up. It works perfectly as a side dish for a grilled main course, a light lunch, or a snack. It is also really easy to mix up the flavors in this dish, substituting lemon for lime, parsley for cilantro, removing the cumin and chili powder, and tossing in some grated Parmesan cheese.
Servings: 4 – 6 servings as a side dish.
Preparation & Clean-up: Easy
1 cup of brown lentils, inspected for pebbles
1/3 cup of carrots, cut into thin round slices
1/2 small yellow or red onion, diced
1 lime, juiced
3 tablespoons of finely chopped cilantro
1 teaspoon cumin, possibly more to taste
1 pinch of chili powder, possibly more to taste
2 cloves of garlic, minced (or use a teaspoon of garlic paste)
Salt and pepper
3 tablespoons of robust olive oil
1. Prepare lentils according to the package directions.
2. While lentils are cooking, prepare the onions, carrots, and cilantro.
3. In a medium sized mixing bowl, combine the olive oil, lime juice, seasonings, carrots, cilantro, and onion. Let sit until the lentils are finished cooking.
4. Drain lentils and add to the mixing bowl. Gently stir to combine ingredients.
5. Add additional cumin, chili powder, salt and pepper if you want bolder flavors. I almost always add quite a bit more cumin and chili powder but some might not like such strong flavors.
6. Serve immediately or chill. This salad works well both warm and cold (although it is best after sitting outside the refrigerator for about 15 minutes before serving if chilled). The flavor also develops nicely over time, so you can make this ahead or make extra for leftovers.